Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My First Marathon!

WOW! That is how I would describe my first marathon. I worked for about 6 months for this one day. I was so nervous,I thought I might throw up. Things got off to a rocky start with Anna getting sick the day before we had to leave. I was so sad she wasn't able to be with the group but because of the issue of spreading the flu she drove herself and stayed in her own hotel room. It was a bummer not having her there but at least she was still able to run the marathon even though she was under the weather.

We got to Newport and picked up our packets and then headed to the hotel to check in. While we waited to go to dinner we went down to the beach.



We then met the group(minus Anna:() for dinner at Quimby's to load up on Carbs! I think I had enough to last me a lifetime.
Sean drove down with the kids and my parents and stayed in the Trailer with them. My parents watched the kids while he joined us for dinner. It was nice to have him there!


This was my yummy dinner!




Saturday morning we woke up at 5am to eat our banana and bagel before the big race. The thing I have been waiting for and dreading since January. I was a bundle of nerves and thought for sure I would get sick but I managed to make it to the start line without any problems.

Carrie and I started the race together and felt good for the first little while. Unfortunately Carrie was still feeling knee pain and she hadn't been able to run for a few weeks. At about mile 3 I got a migraine and had to run with my eyes closed for about 2 and 1/2 miles. Luckily after many prayers and a little shade to help it, it went away. I was so happy. About mile 8 Carrie and I separated and I was on my own.







I ran the next 17 miles by myself. I talked to many people along the way and had some good conversation but also just enjoyed the scenery and had a lot of time to think. I was able to think about all my friends and family and how blessed I am. I was so happy to have a healthy body that would carry me 26.2 miles.


I had such a good support system and was so happy to see everyone at the finish line. My parents came allthis way just to be there to see my accomplish this. I love them so much! what would I do without them??




The last mile Connor had come out to run with me. It was a life saver. When I saw him,I started crying. He said to me that I could do it and to keep going. It gave me just enough energy to keep going. I love that boy. He is so sensitive and kind. He took his flip flops off and just ran right along side of me. Just thinking about it makes me tear up!


I was so glad that someone(I think Kaylee) caught this picture. It is my favorite!

So my official time was 4 hours 43 minutes and 14 seconds. My goal was to do it in under 5 but I really wanted between 4:30 and 4:50 so I was able to obtain that and I was quite pleased.


Tiffany, Soila and Me right after the race. Our metals were really cool. They were made of glass and know two were alike.
Here is all of us: Anna, Tiffany, Soila, Carrie, me and Debbie.

I have to say my first marathon experience was amazing. I really enjoyed taking my physical strength to another level. This was a goal I never thought I could ever accomplish. But with hard work I was able to do it. And I will do it again. I am already thinking of the next one I can do. I would like to have 5 marathons under my belt by the time I am 40. That gives me just over 5 years to do 4 more. The skies the limit!!!!!
We did a few fun things together as a family in Newport but that will be a different post. I have some much to blog about but right now the marathon is the only thing that is on my mind. More to come very soon!:)

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I totally understand your marathon high and am happy for you!! We are very blessed to have our strong bodies and our supportive families. 26.2 miles gives you plenty of time to reflect.

Baker said...

So inspiring I actually teared up reading this post. I'm just so impressed. And how cool to have your family there. I love the picture of you and Connor too. :) And your parents. I just love it. All of it!

Rebecca Parker said...

I might have considered it for a second while going to sleep night before Leavenworth Half, but I'm proud of you for actually doing it!! I've been waiting for pics & hope your weather that weekend was better than ours has been up here?! Bet the course was beautiful & so awesome to have that accomplishment & family support--congrats!!

Lance and Coralee Kulman said...

Congratulations, Jodi. Yes, you do have a great family.

Love,

Aunt Coralee

Jennifer said...

You're awesome! I loved to read all about it!

Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS GIRL! That's one of the greatest accomplishments of a lifetime. Way to go! You are so very young! Can I live through you?