Sunday, December 15, 2013

CIERRA

Cierra started do little runs back about 5-6 years ago. She would do 1k races just for fun. I think she did them because I would sign her up and she would have no choice. She never was a fan of running, but then again, either was I. I hated running until about 8 years ago. It's amazing how things can change.
 
Here is our family doing a 1k YMCA fun run
 
Cierra then did another 1k race the year I did my first ever 12k at the Sound to Narrows run. (Connor and Sean did the 1k also. I have now done 17 half marathons and 5 marathons with a few 12ks, 10ks and 5ks in between)
 
We had a little triathlon at our block party and I think Cierra started figuring out that it was fun to race. 
 
She joined a run club coached by Tiffany Shakespeare (an amazing runner and friend) and did the Turkey Trot in Snoqualmie in November 2009. I remember she didn't like it much but she kept doing run club and her mile was about 15 minutes at this time.
 
The next year she did her first 5k race down at the Orting Trail. She whined and cried the whole way and I was ready to leave her and go run my own race but she never quit!! I was so proud of her as I saw the look of pure joy when she crossed the finish line. I know that feeling well! You don't have to be fast to cross the finish line, you just have to finish!!! And that she did! (my sister did her first ever 10k race this day too.)

 Cierra went on to do the Christmas Rush with Shaylyn and Grandma and Grandpa. It was freezing cold but she did it. At this point, I really don't think she liked running but she continued on!(my parents decided they needed to get in on the fun and have done several 5ks, and even a few half marathons since this day too.)

 She did another race for the YMCA and the Puyallup Fair grounds. Auntie ran this one with her, while Sean and I did a 10k. We met up with her towards the end. (Chance did also. He wasn't a runner at the time but is now doing a 21 minute 5k-He's amazing) 
 We did the Lise Faith Memorial run for a girl that had been hit running while she was 8 months pregnant. This was held at Heritage field in Puyallup
 
Cierra ran the Reindeer run last year and although she was freezing, she did pretty well.
 
The last 2 seasons she has done track with her run club as well.They go down to Sparks Stadium on Wednesday afternoon for about 6 weeks and compete in different events. Cierra did the 100m, 200m, softball throw and long jump.
Cierra and I did the Color run in September! This was more fun than anything! I think it was her favorite race yet!
 
I'm sure I've missed a few runs that she did, but that about sums up her running journey thus far. Yesterday she did the Reindeer run and ran it with one of the coaches of the run club team. She got her fastest time and was definitely feeling it when it was done.  
 

 
Afterwards they had a run club awards ceremony where Cierra received the award for most improved. We she started this journey, she wasn't in the best of shape. She never gave up and kept continuing to improve. Her first timed was a little over a 15 minute mile. Her last timed mile was an 8:03. She works hard and has my drive for exercise, which I love! I know she will continue to improve and will be able to get the iron woman award for doing a timed mile in 7:30 or less.(an award that her run club does and is still willing to give to her when she completes it, even if it's after we move to Utah!)  I know she will get it by spring and I can't wait to see it!

 
I'm so grateful for the wonderful coaches she has had doing run club. Since we are moving this will be Cierra's  last season with them. We are both going to miss them so much. I will be forever grateful for these wonderful woman!
 
(on a side note: Cierra is just 16 days away from doing one sweet a month for the whole year! She has worked hard to change her eating habits and I am so proud of her. She started crossfit in September and her coach there as helped her to get strong but also to teach her about eating healthy. They did a food challenge in October and Cierra won first place.)
 
Love my Cierra girl even though she drives me crazy!!
~Jodi 

1 comments:

The Sherwood's Travel Blog said...

Jodi, It is great to see you adding to your bloc! I agree that with all the other forms of social media, a blog may be old fashion but I have been called that before. I really like the format of the blots as a good way to document your family history. I have pictures uploaded on my blog through June of last year and will be finishing this year after the holidays. I also believe your move is something God has planned for you and Sean. As sad as it is to leave your family, you will grow in your experience! It is easier for me to say this as your aunt than it would be to as your mother. I know how sad your mom is but she will be OK. We have seen how strong she can be but it will take time. Love and best wishes to you and your family!!