Tuesday, February 15, 2011

DC/New York Trip!

What a awesome opportunity I had to make a trip to DC and New York with Anna to visit Michelle. We had 5 days to see a ton of stuff and we managed to see most of what we wanted to. We had amazing girl bonding time and saw sight after sight after sight! We left on February 3rd and came back late on the 7th. The flight there was a lot of fun, Anna and I got in trouble from a flight attendant for being too loud. That started the weekend off right and we didn't stop laughing the whole time. We landed in DC in the evening. Michelle got caught up at work(Do you know who she works for? me neither but it's someone very important and their kids go to school with the Obama kids) So we ventured out into a cab in hopes to find her apartment. We did, but barely. Those taxi drivers are CRAZY. We took many while we were there and I feared for my life every time.

We got to her apartment unloaded and then walked down to Georgetown. It was fun but we were so tired we went back and waited for Michelle. We talked for hours and then hit the hay so we could be ready for our 18 mile adventure run in the morning. Michelle had to work for a little bit so we took that opportunity to do our long run. We ran over the whole town of DC. We saw all the monuments(we went back later to take pictures),the White House, the Supreme Court, Botanical Gardens, air and flight museum and much more that I can't even think of right now. It was the best run I have ever been on. Didn't seem like 18 miles since we were seeing so much. We had one cliff bar to split the whole time and we were starving when we got back.

We walked up to the National Cathedral Church to see it but it was closed so we didn't go inside. It was beautiful on the outside though. Earlier when we were running by we heard children singing from it and it sounded amazing!

The night we went contra dancing. Have you heard of it? Probably not! I hadn't either but it was so much fun. A little scary, but fun. You have a partner and sometimes they get a little into it and the stare you down.(supposedly if you look your partner in the eye, you won't get dizzy-it just freaked me out) This is Michelle and Anna showing off some of the partners they had when we got home.

This was the only slightly rainy day and this is the Supreme Court. When Anna and I were on our run we stopped by and went inside. We were all sweaty and gross but they were letting people come in and look around and we didn't want to miss our chance. We used the bathroom and looked around and continued on.

The White House. Funny, I thought it was much bigger. So many police officers, it was crazy. At one point during our run I rounded a corner and came face to face with a police officer wearing a mask and holding a big machine gun. I screamed.



Went to the Smithsonian and looked at everything there. I loved looking at all the First Ladies dresses. This is Michelle Obamas.



Ruby Red Slippers from the Wizard of OZ:)







This was at the Museum of natural History. Very impressive!










We went to a restaurant called The Hook and it was so delicious. Loved it!


The Korean War memorial
Amazing monuments!






This was us waiting for the bus to go to New York. This is Mike and we got to know him quite well on the 4 hour bus ride. We are friends now and we can't wait for an invitation to his wedding someday!(thank godness for facebook to keep us connected!)


Took a walk in Central Park! It was amazing and beautiful with all the snow on the ground.




I bought some nuts in Central Park from this guy. He was excited to get his picture taken!:)

Went in to FAO Schwartz and played on the big piano. Kids kept getting in our way though. How rude! Didn't they know I have always wanted to do this since I watched the movie Big.



Went in to buy myself a bracelet but then decided not to!(hehe)




Saw Wicked which was the most awesome thing I have ever seen. It was so well done, I loved it. Probably the highlight of the trip.

Went into the M and M store and danced to "Everybody Dance now!"


I hailed a cab and it started to slow down and then sped up right as he got to me. I guess I didn't get in fast enough. Another one came 2 seconds later and we jumped in quickly!


The famous"bull" that I had never heard of. Oh well, still took a picture of it!
Coming home on the bus. We arrived back in DC about 3:30am. It was a busy and fun day. Needless to say we slept all the way home. Well, I guess Anna didn't because she was snapping pictures of us. Don't ask what is on Michelle's head. I'm not quite sure.
World War II memorial.
We also went to the "money store".(where they make all the paper money) I really wanted to do this so I was excited to do the tour. I bought the kids $2 bills. We also went to the Holocaust museum. It was very depressing for me. But I was glad I went.
I'm sure I am missing a few things but that is mostly it. I had a blast and I am so grateful to Michelle for taking us in and showing us the sights. It was great to see her again and we can't wait to visit again. Anna was so much fun and it was nice to hang out without kids and the business of life. I love you girls and I will always remember this trip!

3 comments:

Outnumbered Three To One said...

Isn't there sooo much to see and do on the East Coast? I loved that area! I can only imagine how fun it would have been to run... Looks like you guys had a blast!

Kim said...

What a fun getaway with the girls! Thanks for sharing! Don't die of shock but I starting blogging again.

The Sherwood's Travel Blog said...

Jodi, I am so glad you had the opportunity to visit Washington, D.C. It is one of my favorite places to visit. There is so much to see. I, too, was surprised at how small the White House was and I love the Museum of American History with the inaugural gowns. Glad you enjoy traveling to new places and spending time with your friends.